Canada may be the second largest country in the world, but during the winter season, it is probably the harshest. The temperature levels can go lower than forty degrees celsius, and without suitable heating options for home, your house will not be comfortable.
You have many options to choose from when choosing a heating system for the home. The one you choose depends on the design of your home, location, preference, and of course, budget. However, you need to focus more on the functionality of the heating system than any other of its features.
The remaining parts of this article will explain the different options of heating systems you can install in your home. Keep reading to choose the best option for heating your home.
According to Ronald J Brown, an old-time Canadian resident, furnaces are the most common heating systems used in most homes in the country. This heating system is the best option if you want an option that lasts long and will not stress you with regular maintenance.
A furnace is an efficient home heating option that works with forced air. There is a central part where the actual heating process occurs. After the heating process, the air gets distributed through ductwork that acts like the air conditioner of the furnace.
There are three types of furnaces, classified by their respective heat sources. These types include;
- Gas furnace. The gas furnace is the most common option; it burns either propane gas or natural gas to ignite the heat before spreading it. This furnace type gets hot quickly and is the best option for frigid regions.
- Electrical furnace. An electric furnace is better for areas that experience the gentle effects of winter. These furnaces are a great option when you want a low-maintenance furnace option that is easy to install. However, be ready to experience a hike in energy bills.
- Fuel furnace. This heating option is the least popular among furnaces because of its complexity. Installing this furnace type in your home means you will have to buy fuel and oil in large quantities for backup during the cold weather.
Let’s examine some of the advantages and disadvantages of furnaces;
- It is an effective way to heat the entire home during extreme cold, especially with gas.
- Furnaces last for an extended period and require very little maintenance.
- Furnaces are affordable
- Furnaces can be loud because of the fans blowing the air.
- You will require ductwork for furnaces, which will take up space within your walls and may disfigure it.
- If you do not clean the furnace appropriately, it may cause dirt.
Related Article: How to Save on Heating Costs This Winter
Solar Heating Systems
If you are an environmentalist, a solar system will be one of the best home heating solutions for winter. As the name implies, it draws heat energy from the sun and distributes it across the home.
Installing a solar heating system in your home may seem challenging because of the high costs. However, solar heating systems will last as long as the sun shines.
With solar energy, you can directly supply heat drawn from the sun around the home or store this heat in storage installed with the system. There are two types of solar heating systems;
- The hydronic system. This type works with solar energy, heating a liquid and spreading the fluid around the home.
- The air system. This type quickly spreads solar energy directly to the home.
- It is the best heating options for homeowners who are environmentalists.
- It lasts a lifetime if correctly installed.
- It saves energy.
- The high cost is a severe disadvantage of this option.
Radiant Heating Systems and Boiler
A radiant heating system is a dynamic option for home heating 2022. This heating option changes as technology improve.
The most common type of radiating system uses a boiler to heat a liquid. The heat and hot liquid get transported to the radiation unit, which supplies the house. There are usually multiple radiation units in a home, each strategically situated to deliver efficient heating around the home.
You will need to contact an expert to install heating systems of this kind. Picking the right boiler for this heating system is a critical decision affecting this heating option’s effectiveness. Factors to consider before choosing between boilers for this heating choice include;
- The house design and size
- The winter behaviour of the region
- The expected amount of heat
- The building materials.
Another type of heating option that uses radiation technology is flor heating systems. This style is an old system, but it is one of the hottest heating appliances you can install without changing your design.
This type of radiant heat uses hot water like the conventional option, but instead of the heat passing through units, it passes through the floor. The professional installs tubes within the floor of the building, and the hot water will continuously move across these pipes.
The heat may take time before passing from the floor to the room, but it is a lot more consistent instead of hot air rushing into the room.
Some of the pros and cons of this heating system include the following;
- It is a dynamic heating system.
- It is one of the quietest heating options for home.
- You can connect the water heater to solar energy.
- It does not heat up as quickly as you may want it.
- It can be expensive to install and difficult to maintain.
You can think of a heat pump’s heating system as an air conditioner that works in a reverse fashion. These heat pumps take hot air from the environment and distribute it across your home. Heat pumps are another dynamic and efficient home heating option you should try, like radiant heating systems.
There are two types of heat pumps;
- Heat pump system with ducts. These heat pumps use ducts to transfer the heat from a central heat pump around the home. This heat pump is generally effective in heating the home to a uniform temperature.
- Heat pump systems without ducts. This heating system does not require ducts to circulate the hot air. Instead, you will buy different heat pumps for each room in your house. This may be more expensive, but it gives the liberty to choose the temperature level of other parts of the house.
Here are some of the pros and cons of these heat pumps;
- It is a lot quieter than most home heating solutions for winter.
- You have the choice to choose the temperature you want in every room
- The conventional heat pump can act as a cooler and heater when necessary.
- They can last for more than a decade if you buy and install the right equipment correctly.
- It may not be the hottest home heating options in a frigid region because there isn’t much heat to take from the environment.
- It can be an expensive home heating option, especially the ductless option.
Related Article: How Much to Install a Gas Range
Choosing the best heating options for home may seem like an easy task, but it is daunting. You need first to understand the behaviour of your region during winter, and the practical options, before you choose one based on your budget and home design.
After that, you need the right contractor to help with the proper installation.
Luckily, we have the best hands and experience to install all kinds of heating systems in your home. Apart from having the right tools, knowledge, and skills, ALP Heating will help you select the best heating options that will be effective and affordable for your home.
Check out our installation services for all kinds of heating systems and appliances.